Chaf's Digital Brain

Sunday, June 18, 2006


Shoes Grow on Trees?

EWWW NATALIE PROBABLY HAS ATHLETE'S FOOT NOW!

So I return back from an amazing screenwriting workshop, put on by Tony Sekulich this afternoon, and said hello to Natalie. She told me about a tree that she drove by and described something that made my brain explode with glee. She told me about this mysterious tree which had a bunch of shoes hanging from it, and that it would be a great photo op just as I thought "SWEET MERCIFAL CRAP, I NEED TO SHOOT THIS!".

Before my brain could register the thought that something so ridiculous existed, i had uttered a request that she take me to such said tree. 10 minutes later we ventured up the Wilsey Road towards the dump. After passing the farmers Co-Op we took a hard left, passed the dump, and 7 km later we spotted this rare and odd conifer.

I must admit, this is stupid. Who cares that this tree has a dozen or so pairs of shoes swaying from its many branches? Well to be honest, it got me thinking. Is the legend true? Was there...in fact...a homeless man who collected shoes in a shopping cart? Maybe this is where he lived. Maybe this man was trying to make a statement. Maybe this is how he identified his tree. OR maybe it was just a bunch of drunkend rednecks who thought it would be funny to hang and nail shoes to this tree. This random abstraction caught Natalie's attention, which in turn caught MY attention. So the question I pose is the following:

Is this display of shoes considered art?

Dictionary.com defines art as:

art
n 1: the products of human creativity; works of art collectively; "an art exhibition"; "a fine collection of art" [syn: fine art] 2: the creation of beautiful or significant things; "art does not need to be innovative to be good"; "I was never any good at art"; "he said that architecture is the art of wasting space beautifully" [syn: artistic creation, artistic production] 3: a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation; "the art of conversation"; "it's quite an art" [syn: artistry, prowess] 4: photographs or other visual representations in a printed publication;
"the publisher was responsible for all the artwork in the
book" [syn: artwork, graphics, nontextual matter]


I think it would be awesome if everyone who reads this blog would bring an old pair of shoes to this location and add to the tree. If anyone is interested in this idea, please leave me a comment or email me at chaf_haddad@yahoo.ca . Don't forget to take a picture of your addition!




Here is my first uploaded video (and it won't be the last) of these creepy hanging shoes! Enjoy.







2 Comments:

Blogger hydroponicthehedgehog said...

Hey man, you're always welcomed to stop by!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah!...I too have couple of old timberland shoes...I'd bring them and hang it....thanks

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home